Experience what it was like to be a Viking at sea. We use exactly the same propulsion as the Vikings did; oars and raw sails.
Take hold of the oars and listen to the rhythmic splash of the oars as you row in and out of the harbour. Out on the fjord, the force of the wind takes over when we set the traditional square sail.
You and the rest of the crew on board actively participate on board by rowing, setting sails and doing other 'seaman's work'.
Important information about tickets
- A separate ticket is required in addition to the museum ticket if you want to go sailing.
- Sailing tickets are purchased at the ticket office on Museum Island on a first-come, first-served basis on the day of your visit.
- Sailing departures are updated every Friday and we reserve the right to make changes. » See departures for the daily summer sailings in the coming weeks...
- We cannot provide information about the number of available tickets prior to your visit, as the number of sailings depends on the weather, among other things.
- However, we have limited amount of sailing departures that can be booked online. They can be purchased via this link: » Online sale of sailing tickets via Visit Fjordlandet's ticket portal ...
- The trip lasts approx. 1 hour including handing out life jacket and an introduction to the ship, rowing and sailing.
- As a participant, you are part of the ship's crew and must therefore participate actively on board.
- Children under the age of 4 are not allowed on the sailings in the museum's boats.
- All boat trips are led by an experienced sailing instructor.
» Read more about all the Viking Ship Museum's sailing trips here...