Replica of a three-masted smack from Assens, 1907
Lene was built at the Viking Ship Museum Training Centre in 1995 as a practice boat for course participants. The original smack was built of pine on oak in Assens in 1907 for fishing eels, cod and occasionally porpoises in the southern part of the Lillebælt. Boats rigged with two or three spritsails ("smack" sails) on loose masts are typical of the smacks of South and West Funen.
From the stern, the three spritsails are the mizzen, the mainsail and the foresail. Forward of the foresail is a jib, and above the mainsail a topsail.
Information about Lene
Dockyard: The Viking Ship Museum
Boatbuilder: Tom Nicolajsen and students from The Viking Ship Museum
Owner: The Viking Ship Museum
Year of construction: 1995
Length: 6.30 meter (21 feet)
Width: 2.20 meter (7 feet)
Depth/draft: 0.80 meter (3 feet)
Total sail area: 25 m2
Number of oars: 4
Crew: 2 men
Estimated maximum speed, sail: 6 knots
Estimated maximum speed, oars: 3 knots