This is a website full of exiting stories; partly about the late Viking Age, partly about those scientific issues relating to the ship, the sail and the navigation. The teacher's guide will help you use the site in your classes.
The table of contents lists the various assignments and exercises. They can be a set of questions, assignments to be solved in front of the computer or on paper or they can be practical indoor or outdoor exercises. We also try to estimate which subjects and age groups the assignment is best aimed at - but your comments are welcomed.
Under each assignments and exercises you will find a teacher's guide.
Assignments for the class room
Here you will find assignments about the society of the Viking Age and the everyday life of the Vikings. The tasks include the gods of the North, the kings of the Viking Age, the appearance of the Vikings, Christianity in the Viking Age, trade and the emergence of cities.
Assignment about the Viking Age society
- Assignments about the Nordics Gods
- Assignments about Viking burials and graves
- Assignments about Christianity in the Viking Age
- Assignment about royal powers and society
- Assignments about the Vikings’ appearance, clothes and ornaments
- Assignments about Viking games
- Assignments about runes
- Assignments about a day in the Viking village
- Assignments about the good story (scaldic verses and storytelling)
- Assignments about historical souces
- Assignments about the English, Scotish and Irish towns
- Assignments about the development of towns
- Assigments about the Danish towns
Here you will find tasks on how the Vikings sailed, navigated and life aboard a Viking ship.
Assigments about the Vikings voyages
- Assignments about the Skipper's law
- Assignments about the menu on the ship
- Assignments about storie from voyages
- Assignments about sailing
- Assigments about dead reckoning
- Assignments about the sun campass
- Assignments about nature and sense navigation
- Assignments about tacking abilities
- Assignments about the speed diagram
- Assignments about current triangles
- Assignments about top speed
- Assignments about rowing
- Assignments about turns
- Assignments about GIS and mapping
- Assignments about the duty roster
Here you will find the tasks that are about the Vikings' struggles and the Vikings as a warrior.
The discipline of History uses a certain procedure when interpreting written sources. The historian's source material is peculiar in that it does not always speak the truth - conscoiusly or unconsciously. Hence it is important to use a firm source-critical metod aimed at exposing the source's strengths and weaknesses in oorder to avoid over-interpretation.
Here you will find workshop assignments for the creative.