During the spring, the popular public workshop ‘Build your own boat’ has been completely renovated and upgraded, so it is 100% ready for creative children and adults who want to test their boat building skills.
The workshop opens on May 21 and is open until the autumn holidays. The 'Build your own boat' workshop is located on the shipyard site, so you can be inspired by the real boat builders, while you design and build your own boat.
There is also a water basin - a 'test tank' - so you can test your boat design and perhaps return to the construction process to refine the design. The workshop invites you to play and experiment at the same time as you learn about ship construction and boat building.
There is room for as many as 15 families in the workshop, where there are planing benches and enough tools for everyone. The boats are built from wood scraps, cardboard paper, string, etc., and in the workshop there are tips, tricks, ideas and inspiration how to build a boat, so that everyone - from approx. 8 years and up - can easily get started designing and building a seaworthy vessel.
Where: The Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde, Vindeboder 12, 4000 Roskilde
When: Every day from 10 to 17 o'clock (from 21. maj 2021). The activity is free when the entrance ticket for the museum is paid.
Time slots for the boatyard: Due to the corona precautions, access to the boatyard is limited to every full hour, where boat builders and museum mediators receive museum guests. Access every full hour from kl. 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Family ticket for 2 adults and every child under the age of 18 years: 280 DKK
Adult: 150 DKK
Season card: 170 DKK
Children 0-17 years: Free entrance
• 15 years and up: Remember corona pass / negative test + Image ID.
• The Viking Ship Museum has plenty of space outdoors and indoors, so you do not have to book tickets in advance.
• We follow the current Corona guidelines from the authorities and have plenty of hand sanitizer stands located on the museum grounds.
• Face mask / visor must be worn indoor (from 12 years).
• Food & beverage: The Viking Ship Museum's Café Knarr is open daily.